Calling All Artists!
Trash Can Be Beautiful
Keep Mansfield Beautiful will again host the Trash Can Be Beautiful program in March 2011. Here’s your opportunity to put your own creative stamp on a town trash barrel. This project is great for families, youth groups, or anyone interested in making our town greener and cleaner.
How the program works:
- Artist Kristi Johnson will conduct two barrel-painting workshops on March 20 and March 27, from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m., at the DPW Garage on Route 106 in East Mansfield.
- We will provide each participant or team with a town barrel that has been cleaned, sanded, and primed.
- At the March 20 workshop, Kristi Johnson will get you started and offer suggestions and ideas. You have the option of taking your barrel home to work on it, but you must bring it back for the March 27 workshop.
- We will provide basic paint colors and brushes, but we encourage you to bring your own special colors or artist’s brushes. The paint must be an exterior acrylic latex. Please check the label to ensure that it works well on metal surfaces.
- Barrels will be deployed in the spring to locations on town-owned property, as determined by Keep Mansfield Beautiful and the Mansfield DPW.
Information To Help You Plan Ahead:
- The barrel’s dimensions are 72” x 36.” However, because a plastic trash bag will drape over the edge of the barrel, use only a background color for the top 10 inches. That leaves a 72 x 26” surface for painting your design.
- Family friendly designs only. No religious, political, or business messages. Designs must be reviewed and approved in advance by the Keep Mansfield Beautiful committee.